Re: Re: the biggest regression at all

On 01/-10/-28163 01:59 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
Hi,

First of all, I'm not the right person to report these problems to.

On Tuesday 29 December 2009, werner wrote:
It's very important your work to collect regressions.
Because in the last months accumulate more and more
regressions, which gave on more and more computers
(especially, laptops) problems.

There continues two problems which I reported earlier, and
which are big problems, making impossible the instalation
of new Linux kernels on a good part of laptops, but which
were ignored or even negated, anyway not resolved.

/ The earlier hda=scsi command line parameter don't work
more correctly or perhaps was substituted (I dont know
exactly, because the kernel command line parameter list is
obsolete, too).   Anyway, there are laptops, whose IDE
devices during booting is reclamed as ocupied, without
end.  After some minutes the boot process cancel this and
continues, however without assign the device as detected.
Then booting fails because the disk and the system isn't
found.

The only manner how I found to get detected the IDE device
is with pci=off (I tried plenty other things).  But then
other things like sound, grafics etc are not detected (and
lspci don't give output) and the system works only in text
mode.

For my opinion, the best solution is to introduce an
option pci=noide, so that only the IDE devices will be
excluded and then detected or taken over by the BIOS. All
other things should be detected normally.

The issue above should better be reported to the people on
linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , as no one else really can take care of it.

Still, I think there's a known way to solve this problem, since I've never
seen it myself and I happen to install Linux quite often on notebooks.

What distribution do you use?

I can't really make any sense out of this report. We need more information: what type of machine was being used, what kernel version, which IDE drivers (IDE or libata), for starters. The only thing I can suspect may be an issue is that if you're using the old IDE drivers then you don't have a proper hardware-specific driver for your machine enabled in your kernel configuration. At some point I believe the generic IDE driver was changed to not attach to as many devices as it did previously as it would end up being used in cases where it shouldn't be.