Fwd: the biggest regression at all

"werner" <w.landgraf@xxxxx>

  --- the forwarded message follows ---
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

First of all, I'm not the right person to report these problems to.

On Tuesday 29 December 2009, werner wrote:
> It's very important your work to collect regressions.
> Because in the last months accumulate more and more
> regressions, which gave on more and more computers
> (especially, laptops) problems.
>
> There continues two problems which I reported earlier, and
> which are big problems, making impossible the instalation
> of new Linux kernels on a good part of laptops, but which
> were ignored or even negated, anyway not resolved.
>
> / The earlier hda=scsi command line parameter don't work
> more correctly or perhaps was substituted (I dont know
> exactly, because the kernel command line parameter list is
> obsolete, too).   Anyway, there are laptops, whose IDE
> devices during booting is reclamed as ocupied, without
> end.  After some minutes the boot process cancel this and
> continues, however without assign the device as detected.
> Then booting fails because the disk and the system isn't
> found.
>
> The only manner how I found to get detected the IDE device
> is with pci=off (I tried plenty other things).  But then
> other things like sound, grafics etc are not detected (and
> lspci don't give output) and the system works only in text
> mode.
>
> For my opinion, the best solution is to introduce an
> option pci=noide, so that only the IDE devices will be
> excluded and then detected or taken over by the BIOS. All
> other things should be detected normally.

The issue above should better be reported to the people on
linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , as no one else really can take care of it.

Still, I think there's a known way to solve this problem, since I've never
seen it myself and I happen to install Linux quite often on notebooks.

What distribution do you use?

> / When I compile the kernel with a machine with more than
> 4 GB memory (my big computer has 8 GB) then during
> makemenuconfig I dont can switch off HIGHMEN64 and PAE .
> Even when before in config I edit them as not set, then
> they are setted automatically.
>
> This is a very serios problem, because this means that
> kernels compiled on machines with more than 4 GB, always
> works only on PAE machines, but not on older machines.
>
> Generally, I suggest to change the kernel makeconfig
> routine, in the sense that one ALWAYS can switch on or off
> any configuration but that then all necessary dependencies
> are switched on/off automatically too. At least this
> config manner should be alternatively.   Otherwhise often
> one cannot switch on or of certain parameters which one
> inconditionally need.

I _think_ the problem is that one option (or more) in your config selects
the HIGHMEM64.  As I told you previously, I've never seen this problem myself,
most likely because I've been building kernels on 64-bit machines for quite
some time now.

Nevertheless, you can report it to Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>, who's our
new kbuild maintainer.

Rafael