Re: Long delays while hibernating

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 December 2009, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > (cc'ing Rafael)

>> > Hmmm... the patch does apply to both suspend and hibernation.  Rafael,
>> > Pedro's ThinkPad T400 burns cpu cycle for 30secs on "Atomic
>> > copy/restore" step of hibernation if the ultrabay is powered off.  The
>> > original report can be found at...
>> >
>> >  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ide/44190
>> >
>> > Please note that it's with TuxOnIce patches.  Anyways, ata_piix on
>> > certain configurations have similar issues where after the OS is done
>> > suspending and powering off the piix controller, the BIOS tries to
>> > access it and ends up burning cpu cycles which can be worked around by
>> > leaving the controller on after suspend.  Applying the same workaround
>> > didn't resolve the issue.  Do you know what can make cpu burn for
>> > 30secs on the atomic copy/restore step?
>
> No idea.
>
> Is this reproducible with /sys/power/pm_test = core?
>
> [If you echo "core" to /sys/power/pm_test and then attempt to hibernate,
> it should just simulate snapshotting the system, sleep for 5 seconds and go
> back to your command prompt (or wherever you started the "hibernation").]
>
>> > Pedro, can you please try to reproduce the problem without TuxOnIce
>> > patches?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > tejun
>> >

>> Hi Rafael and Tejun,
>>
>> I am experiencing the same delay with the kernel swsusp, so this is
>> definitely not a TuxOnIce issue.
>
> I don't think this can be a TuxOnIce.  Most likely, ACPI is trying to do
> something stupid in _PTS.
>
> Rafael

Hi,

The issue also occurs with pm_test.
Attached are two files, the one ending with "ok" shows a good pm_test
cycle, with the ultrabay powered on. The one ending in "bad" shows the
bad pm_test cycle with a 30 second delay between:

[  545.764159] ACPI: Waking up from system sleep state S4
[  575.844179] ACPI: \_SB_.PCI0.SATA.PRT1 - docking
(lines 48/49)

Please let me know how I can assist you.

Thanks for everything,
Pedro