Re: kernel 2.6.31.1 + Sil 3512 + WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 = no NCQ and UDMA5 instead of UDMA6

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert Hancock put forth on 12/17/2009 10:05 PM:
>> On 12/17/2009 09:49 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> Jeff Garzik put forth on 12/17/2009 9:10 PM:

>>> I'm on the old 32bit/33MHz PCI bus of 133MB/s.  SATA1 at 150MB/s is
>>> slightly faster, no?  No argument here that both are far faster than
>>> almost all drives on the market.  I was just wondering if bumping up
>>> from the default UDMA/100 to UDMA/133 would allow quicker PCI bus
>>> bursting and thus a slight improvement in overall performance.
>>
>> The UDMA speed doesn't make any difference at all with SATA, it's just
>> an arbitrary number in almost all cases. Only the link speed really
>> matters (which with these controllers will always be 1.5 Gbps).
>
> Hi Robert.  Thanks for your informed reply.
>
> So, how does this "phantom" UDMA setting affect either libata or
> sata_sil?  If it effects nothing, why is it hanging around?  Is this a
> backward compatibility thing for the kernel's benefit?  I'm not a kernel
> hacker or programmer (yet), so please forgive my ignorant questions.

It doesn't affect either the driver or the controller. Only the drive
may possibly care - that would be if there's a SATA-to-PATA bridge
involved (as some early SATA drives had internally, for example) and
there's an actual PATA bus that needs to be programmed properly for
speed. Other than that, it's basically vestigial.

>>> I think I only gave $15 for this Koutech Sil3512 PCI (32/33) controller
>>> at Newegg.  You being you with the knowledge you have, would buying one
>>> of the cards whose chipset supports NCQ, such as the sata_sil24 cards,
>>> be anything close to worth the additional investment in dollars and time
>>> spent swapping hardware and drivers?  Is NCQ the performance panacea
>>> that some purport it to be?  How much difference does it really make?
>>
>> It's really hard to say, it depends on the drive and the workload, in
>> most cases..
>
> On this particular machine, the greatest disk loading will be running
> hdparm and other benchmarks.  Its real world workloads are modest, disk
> and otherwise (though that may change).  If NCQ's greatest benefit comes
> into play with multithreaded or multiuser workloads, then it would
> probably not benefit this machine's real world performance much.  Unless
> NCQ pumps up benchy numbers, which gives the machine owner a
> psychological boost, if nothing else. ;)  (feels guilt)

In my experience, you get a little bit more performance with hdparm,
etc. with NCQ enabled. But that depends on the drive implementation a
lot - if it's poorly optimized for NCQ you can see a slowdown.

It's true the biggest benefits tend to be with multithreaded
workloads, but even single-threaded workloads can get broken down by
the kernel into multiple parallel requests.