From: linux-ide-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-ide-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Caspar Smit
Sent: 01 December 2009 12:16
To: linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Random shutdown of disks using sata_mv

Hi,

I'm having a problem where in random one of my disks shuts
down and is disconnected from the linux kernel. In other words I have to
reboot the system or physically unplug/replug the disk to get it to work
again.

I will provide my configuration:

SuperMicro
SC-216 chassis (24 bay 2,5" disks)
24x Seagate ST9500420AS 500Gb
7200 RPM Hard Drives
3x SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 (SATA Controller
using the sata_mv kernel driver)

I use Debian Lenny 5.0 and
kernel: linux-image-2.6.30-bpo.2-amd64
(2.6.30-8~bpo50+1) from the
backports repository.

The symptom is that after a while of
operation a disk is shut down and kicked out of a RAID set. It doesn't
matter if there is load or not on the system.

The logging
says:

sd 11:0:0:0: [sdk] Unhandled error code
sd 11:0:0:0:
Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
sd 11:0:0:0:
end_request: I/O error, dev sdk, sector 0

In this case sdk,
but it happens to all disks.
Then the disk is not readable by the
system anymore.

When I check the disk for errors
(badblocks/smart) in another system it doesn't give any errors.
only have this with 2,5" systems.

Is this a sata_mv
problem? A disk problem? or anything else?
I can provide more info if
needed.

Kind regards,
Caspar Smit