Re: Abysmal SATA throughput with sata_svw and ST31500341AS

Marc Bevand <m.bevand <at> gmail.com> writes:

> One of my machines with 4 SATA disks is resyncing a sdb, which is part of a
> 2-way raid1 MD array with sda, but is doing so _very_ slowly at a speed of
> 5-10 MByte/s. The machine is idle (no CPU, no fs activity on top of the
> array) and dev.raid.speed_limit_max has not been modified (left to the
> default value 200000). The output of iostat doesn't make sense to me: why
> are there 2-3 seconds periods of sdb being 100% utilized with an avgqu-sz
> of 4 but an avgrq-sz of 0 ?! What does this mean, that 0-byte I/O requests
> are being issued to the disk?

I think the avgrq-sz values of 0 are probably a minor bug in iostat when I/O
requests take more than 1000ms to execute.

Anyway I fixed my problem. sdb was really having a hard time. It had loose
disk tray screws, which were causing excessive vibration, which in turn were
causing disk head seek errors, which degraded I/O throughput... This explains
everything. I should have paid more attention to the SMART data (high
Seek_Error_Rate.)

This experience reminds me of the blog post from a Sun engineer who
demonstrated that shouting at a ZFS disk array produced sound waves powerful
enough to cause vibrations and I/O latency spikes...

-mrb