Re: Errors when powering on eSATA box

Robert Hancock wrote:
On 10/29/2009 02:41 PM, Peter Klotz wrote:
I have an eSATA box (2 HDDs) that when operated in BIG mode shows lots
of errors during startup.

Both HDDs are started then stopped and started again.

When first starting up the system reports a size of 7.99 GiB, finally
the correct value of 2.72 TiB is displayed.

Can I trust a system showing the errors below?

I suspect this is one of those funky Silicon Image RAID PMP things that has the fake "Config Disk" that shows up to allow configuring the RAID array, and then presumably it then goes offline and then the actual RAID array device shows up..

Yes, it is a Silicon Image (Sil5744) box.

Thanks for this explanation.

Now I am stuck with this box.

BIG mode shows these errors and I will not trust a system showing that many errors on startup.

JBOD mode shows no errors but requires PMP to see both HDDs which my SATA controller does not support. Maybe I can find an eSATA Express Card with PMP support that works in Linux.

Regards, Peter.