Re: aic94xx and the adaptec sata raid controller (aic-9410)

On 08/26/2009 11:09 AM, Kurt Newman wrote:
Since the e-mail for Luben Tuikov, the original writer of the aic94xx
driver, no longer works, I was hoping to ask someone a couple simple
questions since it relates to the SATA subsystem.

If this is the incorrect mailing list, I'm very sorry.  Could you refer
me to the proper one?  I'm at a dead end and hoping someone can point me
in a better direction.

My question is:
Does the aic94xx driver enable the use of the Adaptec SATA Raid
functionality, such that, I'm able to see a single "raided" drive,
instead of multiple, individual ones.

Background information:
Thus far, loading the aic94xx module simply says:
"aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.2-2 loaded".

However, beyond that message and several /sys entries added, I'm unable
to access the raid-1 "drive" created by the adaptec utility.  With or
without that driver loaded, I still only have access to each individual
drive (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) using ata_piix.

ata_piix will be for an Intel integrated chipset SATA controller, not an aic94xx. Are you sure the drives are actually hooked up through the Adaptec controller?

I'm currently attempting to use kernel 2.6.18 (which is patched by
RedHat to create kernel-2.6.18-128.7.1.el5).