Re: sata AHCI controller over non-PCI bus

Hello.

Subbrathnam, Swaminathan wrote:
Hi,

            I would like to post support for OMAPL138 SATA controller that is AHCI 1.1 compliant.  OMAPL138 is an ARM926 based platform.

Current "ahci.c" assumes that AHCI is getting supported over PCI by default, whereas the SATA AHCI controller on OMAPL138 is connected to a non-PCI bus.  Since I am in the process of posting the support I would like to get the  opinion from the community on how to proceed on this front.

  Well, you're not the first with this problem, Marvell already had it.

  I see the following 2 options today

1.       #ifdef the PCI specific code in ahci.c and implement the platform_device based implementation to support non-PCI AHCI controllers.

  I don't think this is a community-acceptable option at all.

2.       Re-organize the ahci.c to abstract the AHCI functionalities from PCI, non-PCI bus dependencies.

Currently we have implemented Option 1 in our internal tree to support SATA on OMAPL138 platform and it works well.  Ideally I would want to proceed with Option 2 but would like get feedback from the community before proceeding in this direction.

See http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git;a=shortlog;h=libahci for Jeff Garzik's work on separating AHCI support from PCI.

MBR, Sergei