Re: 2.6.31-rc1 with ide-tape / STT2000A

On 08/08/2009 02:30 PM, Jim Duda wrote:
Hello,

I'm having trouble using my STT2000A ATAPE TAPE drive after upgrading to
at least kernel 2.6.30. I use the tape drive solely for tape backup
using simple tar commands.

In previous kernels, I was able to access the tape drive using the
ide-scsi adaptation layer with /dev/st0

I realize that in transitioning through 2.6.30 the kernel has abandoned
the use of ide-scsi. As I understand it, ide-tape interacts directly
with the tape drive and I am supposed to now use /dev/ht0.

My first suggestion would be to try using the libata drivers instead of the old IDE ones. The st driver should be able to access the tape then. I'm not sure if many people are running ATAPI tape drives on libata these days, but the old IDE drivers certainly don't get a lot of use.