Re: Adding new pci vendor id

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Tauseef
Hussain<Tauseef.Hussain@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> I am using a kernel which uses a  precompiled kernel object of ahci.c  viz. ahci.ko
> I would like to know how can i add new pci vendor device id in the ahci_pci_tbl[] structure

See Documentation/SubmittingPatches in your kernel source tree.

If the new HW is intended to work with a distro (e.g., Redhat, SuSe,
Debian, Ubuntu, et al)
you will need to contact each distro and submit a patch in a similar
fashion to them.

> then how can i compile the modified ahci.c and use the .ko file for my use?

The following simplified answer should work for most distro's but
unlikely to work 100% of the time:
    sudo make modules_install
    sudo make install
    sudo reboot

Then interrupt the boot loader (likely grub) to select your kernel.

And given the nature of your questions, I suggest you visit
kttp://kernelnewbies.org .

cheers,
grant