Re: SATA II NCQ and multi-port support for ICH7

On 07/22/2009 07:15 AM, dhdurgee@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have recently purchased an Areca ARC-5020 external eSATA II RAID to
connect to my system.  This unit supports ICH NCQ and multi-port for
multiple volumes.  I have connected it to my Intel DG41TY mainboard, which
has the Intel 82801GB I/O Controller Hub (ICH7), but I find I am only
seeing the first volume and the unit shows NCQ is inactive.

So NCQ is detected on the RAID unit but is not enabled and only one of the
two volumes is being seen.  Am I missing something that needs to be
enabled for the driver to support the advanced features?  Is my
configuration loading the proper driver?  If not, how can I load it?

The SATA controller is in the legacy PIIX mode which doesn't support most SATA-specific features. You need to switch it into AHCI mode (should be a BIOS setting for it somewhere) and then the ahci driver will get used instead of ata_piix.