SATA: link online but device misclassified

Hi again,

To give some more information on what I've done.

I installed using the 20090526 Gentoo autobuild. The livecd gave no
errors during the process. The drive I installed on is a Seagate 160Gb
SATA 7200RPM HDD. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-DQ6. The CPU is
an Intel Q6600. All motherboard settings are standard, and AHCI/RAID
is disabled in the BIOS due to an existing Windows installation. I
have tried other cables for the hard drives. I have tried enabling
AHCI (it is enabled in the Kernel - 2.6.29-gentoo-r5), also to no
avail. To recap, the messages when booting into my system look like:

ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
ata1: link online but device misclassified, retrying
ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
ata1: link online but device misclassified, retrying
ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
ata1: link online but device misclassified, retrying
ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: SATA link up to 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
ata1: link online but device misclassified, device detection might fail
ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)
... (as with ata1)

This whole process takes over a minute, with each message group (link
slow..retrying) taking 10-15s. After these messages, the system boots
successfully and it appears I can use it as normal.

As a side note, the drives also appear to be working in Windows 7, but
I don't know if there is a way to check the link speed.

I guess my questions are:
 - have I done something horridly wrong, e.g. missing a Kernel/BIOS
option somewhere?
 - could this be an anomaly with this specific Kernel version (I think
this likely, given that the livecd didn't complain)
 - maybe it is a BIOS issue and I need to find an update from the manufacturer

Thanks in advance..