From: Tejun Heo [mailto:tj@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:52 AM
To: Robert Hancock
Cc: Foster, Doug F; linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ATAPI question

Hello,

Robert Hancock wrote:
Using a SATA analyzer, I find that on an INQUIRY (12h) ATAPI packet
command, the device sets bit-6 (DRDY) and bit-4 (SERV) in the status
register, and bits 0 (CoD) and 1 (IO) are set in the ATAPI Interrupt
Reason Register (ATA Sector Count Register).  After SERVICE is flagged
by the ATAPI device (and not serviced), it doesn't respond properly
from then on.
Bit 4 isn't SERV in this context, it's DRQ. (It's only SERV when TCQ is
in use, which it isn't.) It looks like this is a READ CAPACITY command
that's being issued by PIO. DRQ means the device expects to transfer
data - either to receive the CDB or send the response. Presumably that
didn't happen for some reason. Are you sure about both the C/D and I/O
bits being 1? That would mean command transfer to the host, which
doesn't make any sense.

You're saying that DRQ never gets cleared after the INQUIRY command?
It's possible the device wanted to transfer more data than the PRD table
had room for. Not sure what AHCI ends up doing in this case. I'm CCing
Tejun who might know more..

libata always prepares for extra space for draining so I doubt that.
Any chance you can post the traces?

--
tejun