Re: no hotplugging support (FIXME)

Robert Hancock wrote:
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I am having a nasty problem with hot swapping a removable (not
eSATA) drive I use for backup on several servers.  It is reported
over on
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3391

Trying to help me find a work around to the problem at
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18608&start=0#forumpost68783
Alan posted your ata_piix.c code at
http://centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/toddandmargo/ata_piix.c
He pointed out

1483 /* no hotplugging support (FIXME) */
1484 if (!in_module_init)
1485 return -ENODEV;

What do you mean by the comment in line 1483?  Is there some
know issue with hot swapping SATA drives?

If you're using the ata_piix driver then it means your motherboard is not in AHCI mode, so hotplugging is not supported by either the driver or controller. You have to enable AHCI for SATA hotplug to work on Intel controllers.

Hi Robers,

   As far as I can tell, ACHI is turned on on my motherboard.
I have tried all variation in bios (one of them turns /dev/sdb
into /dev/hda).   Does not mean ACHI is working right.

   Do you know of any reason why my kernel
(CentOS 5.2: 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5) would not support
(bugs, etc.) hotplugging?

   Also, do you know of a utility that I can use to
ask ACHI what is has for me (give me a report)?

Many thanks,
-T

If the device is in AHCI mode then the ata_piix driver won't load for it - at least it won't in current kernels, I can't say for sure that it won't in the CentOS 5 version.. You do need to get it using the ahci driver instead of ata_piix or hotplug definitely won't work.

You can try changing the boot initrd to try to load the AHCI driver instead by changing the scsi_hostadapter entry in /etc/modprobe.conf to be ahci instead of ata_piix, then rebuilding the initrd or reinstalling the kernel RPM. However, if the BIOS isn't set up properly for AHCI mode to work, you'll have to either boot up in rescue mode and fix it, or boot up from a different kernel entry in grub.

Hi Robert,

I have

$ modprobe --dry-run -v ahci
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.22.el5/kernel/drivers/ata/ahci.ko

in my system.  Do I just use "modprobe" to install the module
and go edit /etc/modprobe.conf?

And, does the modprobe insertion stay permanent (survives a reboot)?

I am confused   :-[   Can you point me to a link that gives the
directions?

-T