Re: Some IDE issues with 2.6.28 on PC-Engines ALIX2

Hello.

Martin K. Petersen wrote:

"Karl" == Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxx> writes:

Karl> 2. The cs5535 ide driver doesn't seem to be able to recognize the
Karl> newer CS5536 controller for IDE.

The IDE interface of the Geode CS5536 companion chip is a completely
different beast.  It's a more or less standard AMD 8111 PCI IDE device
with slightly different timings.

I'm not sure I uderstand the passage about "slightly different timings"...

There's a dedicated driver called pata_cs5536.c (CONFIG_PATA_CS5536).

I must note thst using libata for driving (presumably PIO only) CF seems an overkill (if not a slowdown).

The driver was developed on a Soekris net5501.  To my knowledge it's
working fine on ALIX boards.  If that's not the case there may be a
problem with the ALIX BIOS VSA PCI config space emulation.  In that case
you can load the driver with msr=1 to force it to program the IDE
function using machine specific registers instead of relying on PCI.

It's stange that the driver is using CPI config. space by default which not even documented in the datasheet. I guess the MSR accesses are also somewhat faster because one doesn't have to access the address/data register pair at ports 0xcf8/0xcfc...

MBR, Sergei