Re: marvell sata status?

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Mark Lord wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Mark Lord wrote:

I suppose, of all of the vendors, Adaptec probably has the best chance
of getting that part right, and probably without randomly writing metadata
somewhere on the drive simply for JBOD.

Anyone know for sure ?

Cheers

The Star Tech seems to work right, you plug in the disks and they're recognized as regular sata disks, as if on your on-board controller. No special modifications required.
..

Inconclusive.  The Highpoint cards behave like that, too,
except they silently corrupt a sector (or more) on the drive
at every boot, whether or not one ever "configures" the drive
through the built-in RAID/JBOD BIOS.

???

Mark, I had swapped disks between controllers, ICH8, the marvel and SiI 3132 and never had any problems so is it safe to assume from that-- the Star Tech controller did not place any metadata on the disks?