Re: marvell sata status?

Jody Belka wrote:
On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:11:37PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Jody Belka wrote:
Cool, I think I'll go for that card then (Adaptec 1430SA). They're
x4, so good bandwidth, and i'll use the x16 slots on my board for
them. Only need one for now, but two eventually. And they're a good
price, at only £77 each.
Does the card 'recognize' disks as SATA or do you have to export them as JBOD? The star tech card allows you to see the sata drives directly.

Well, it's just fake-raid, so surely you can always see the individual drives?
Are there actually cards out there that don't? *boggle*

Hmm.... ok, checking the Adaptec knowledgebase:

Q: Can drives be used on an Adaptec RAID controller but not be used as
   part of a RAID array?

A: Hard drives attached to an Adaptec RAID controller do not have to be
   configured as an array member to work properly. The RAID controller
   will recognize and access single disks. Please refer to your controller
   documentation for instructions on accessing drives that are not a member
of any RAID array.
..

One caveat with any such cards:  the onboard BIOS of many "RAID" cards
will scribble over a sector on the drive, to store metadata.

Sometimes *even when the drive is not configured as RAID*,
and sometimes *even when the drive is explicitly set as JBOD*.

The HighPoint RocketRAID cards do this, for example, forcing the
end-user to take great care not to include the overwritten sector(s)
in any partitions or filesystems.  The overwriting happens long before
the Linux kernel is ever loaded, and again at each power-on.

Cheers