Re: Frozen drives when using SiI3726

Hello, Grant.

Grant Grundler wrote:
>> Also, the timeout is one of the most generic failure mode there is.
>> It can be triggered by virtually anything including transmission
>> failure, power quality issues, drive problems and whatnot.  So, it's
>> impossible to tell what went wrong with the provided information.
>
> Tejun,
> The only other possible major issue not listed above I can think of is
> Sil3276 firmware rev. The data sheet (*) "EEPROM Speicifications"
> on Page 20 says the firmware is versioned.
> But the data sheet doesn't specify how to read it.

I haven't seen firmware related transmission failures yet but it's not
like I have lots of 3726s with different revision firmwares.

> Can you ask Silicon Image to publish how to read the firmware rev?

IIRC, you can read it from the steelvine management utility.  You'll
probably need a Windows installation tho.

> Also SATA_PMP_GSCR_REV  (Spec compliance, not FW rev) seems
> to be used twice:
>
> include/linux/ata.h:
> #define sata_pmp_gscr_rev(gscr)         (((gscr)[SATA_PMP_GSCR_REV] >>
> 8) & 0xff)
>
> drivers/ata/libata-pmp.c:sata_pmp_spec_rev_str()
>
> Would it make sense to rename one or the other so they match?
> The difference is one returns a string and the other a u8 value.
> Both take the same parameter.

No, spec_rev_str() returns spec compliance string (lower bits) while
gscr_rev() returns revision level of port multiplier (whatever that
means).

Thanks.

--
tejun