Re: SATA hard drive problem when MSI enabled (ahci.c)

Steven DuChene wrote:
Robert:

See the attached file for the lspci output.

As far as only the MCP65 being the only known chipset with
problems see below.

If you search for either "pci=nomsi ahci" or groups of keywords
like "SATA failed to IDENTIFY ahci" you wll see others having
the same issues. For instance here is a person writing to the
lkml with the same problem with a NVidia MCP78B chipset on a
FSC Esprimo P5625 motherboard.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/30/74

That was a different problem - there the BIOS did not assign an IRQ to the controller since it was not properly in AHCI mode in the BIOS. I believe they fixed that by enabling AHCI.

Here is a bug on the Ubuntu Launchpad where the same problem
is showing up on several people's systems with NVidia chipsets
like the 780a (GeForce 8200 again) and nforce 730a chipset.

This one has the reporter saying that a later kernel worked properly without disabling MSI. It is hard to say what might have been going on with the other posters in that bug report as they didn't post any output.

Here is the same thing with an AHCI SATA controller on a VIA
K8T890 motherboard:

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/394883-opensuse-installation-cant-find-my-sata-drives.html

It seems the common ways for people to resolve these issues
is to globally set pci=nomsi both during and after the install.
I am not sure if globally turning off MSI for the whole system
should be the "right" answer for these folks.

There wasn't any output posted there or exact PCI IDs there either. (Really wish people would encourage these bugs to be reported upstream, using pci=nomsi is no good permanent solution.) If a chipset is confirmed to not have working MSI then it can be disabled in the driver but we really need to narrow down specific device IDs.

Curious thing is that Vista should presumably be using MSI as well, so it should hit the same problem, unless it's using an NVIDIA-specific driver that knows about it.. Seems unlikely that wouldn't have been noticed, though..

--
Steve DuChene