Re: SATA hard drive problem when MSI enabled (ahci.c)

Steven DuChene wrote:
Jeff and others maintaining the ahci.c driver file:
I have a current XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard with an
on-board SATA controller based around the NVidia GeForce
8200 or MCP78S chipset. If I attempt to boot either a
opensuse-11.1 2.6.27.7-9-default kernel or a kernel.org
2.6.28 kernel without passing a "pci=nomsi" the
SATA hard drive hung off of the on-board controller chip is
not detected. I have the motherboard BIOS set to use a SATA
mode of AHCI. If I pass the pci=nomsi to either kernel then
the sata hard disks are found just fine.

I see in looking at the code in the ahci.c file in
drivers/ata that you do detection of some board IDs and for
some boards you set AHCI_HFLAG_NO_MSI. If the code in the
ahci.c file would recognize the motherboards with the MCP78S
chipset then it might be a good idea to set the
AHCI_HFLAG_NO_MSI flag for those boards as well.

If you can tell me how to find that board id that is used
to ident boards in ahci.c I can get that information to you
if that would help others who have the same problem. I think
it must be better to turn off MSI for specific chips or
on an individual PCI bridge rather than do it globally for
the whole system with pci=nomsi --
Steven DuChene

Hmm.. Can you post lspci -vvn output?

CCing some NVIDIA people. Is there anything known about MSI being broken on MCP78S AHCI controller? Currently the only known NVIDIA AHCI problems with MSI are with MCP65 revisions A1 and A2. I'm not actually sure what chipset listed in the driver would match with MCP78S, that particular one isn't listed..