Re: AHCI problem with hotplug

Tony Battersby wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
Tony Battersby wrote:
I am having a problem getting Linux to detect hot-plugged SATA disks on my
ICH7 AHCI controller (SuperMicro PDSME motherboard).  On any SATA port that
already had a disk plugged in during BIOS POST, Linux will see the disk and
detect hot-plug and hot-unplug events just fine.  On any SATA port that did
not have a disk plugged in during BIOS POST, Linux will not see a disk no
matter what.  Here are the different sequences of events that I have tried:

1) boot with SATA disk plugged in
   modprobe ahci: disk detected
   unplug disk:   disk deleted
   plug in disk:  disk detected

2) boot with SATA disk plugged in
   unplug disk
   modprobe ahci
   plug in disk: disk detected
   unplug disk:  disk deleted
   plug in disk: disk detected
   unplug disk:  disk deleted
   plug in disk to any other SATA port    -> not detected
   plug in disk to the original SATA port -> disk detected

3) boot with SATA disk unplugged
   plug in disk to any SATA port
   modprobe ahci: not detected
   grep ahci /proc/interrupts: 0 interrupts

4) boot with SATA disk unplugged
   modprobe ahci
   plug in disk to any SATA port: not detected
   grep ahci /proc/interrupts: 0 interrupts

5) keep SATA disk plugged in during BIOS POST but unplug it before the
   kernel boots
   kernel hangs at "BIOS data check"

I have tried both 2.6.24.7 and 2.6.27.8 with the same result.

The BIOS is configured as follows:
Parallel ATA:         [Enabled]
Serial ATA:           [Enabled]
SATA Controller Mode: [Enhanced]
SATA RAID:            [Disabled]
SATA AHCI:            [Enabled]

The root filesystem is on a parallel IDE disk using the legacy (non-libata)
piix driver.
The BIOS could be tristating the ports.  Does it work if you issue
manual rescan (echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/scan)?

No luck.  I get:

ata1: hard resetting link
ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
ata1: EH complete

And the drive isn't seen.

Well, if the controller reports link down there likely isn't much the kernel can do about it. I assume that ata1 is in fact where that drive gets detected if it's plugged in at boot - you could try all the other hosts to be sure..