Re: libata / scsi separation

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 15:21 -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:04:58AM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Originally I'd been promised that libata would be out of SCSI within a
> > year (that was when it went in).  The slight problem is that having all
> > the features it needed, SCSI became a very comfortable host. Getting
> > libata out of SCSI was also made difficult by the fact that few people
> > cared enough to help.  The only significant external problem is the size
> > of the stack and the slight performance penalty for SATA disks going
> > over SAT.  Unfortunately for the latter, slight turns out to be pretty
> > unmeasurable, so the only hope became people who cared about
> > footprint ... and there don't seem to be any of those.
>
> The performance penalty is certainly measurable.  It's about 1 microsecond
> per request extra to go from userspace -> scsi -> libata -> driver
> than it is to go from userspace -> scsi -> driver.  If you issue 400
> commands per second (as you might do with a 15k RPM SCSI drive), that's
> 400 microseconds.  If you issue 10,000 commands per second (as you might
> do with an SSD), that's 10ms of additional CPU time spent in the kernel
> per second (or 1%).

Um, not quite.  What you're talking about is increased latency.  It's
not cumulative because we use TCQ (well mostly).  The question is really
how it impacts the benchmarks, which are mostly throughput based (and
really, our block layer trades latency for throughput anyway, so it's
not clear what the impact really is).

> So it's insignificant overhead ... unless you have an SSD.

Actually, surely this is the other way around.  We use complex elevators
which try to optimise throughput every device other than a SSD .. there
we usually set noop and the latency becomes more visible .. whether it
still has a noticeable benchmark impact is another matter.

>   I have asked
> Tejun if there's anything he wants help with to move the libata-scsi
> separation along, but he's not come up with anything yet.  Right now,
> I'm investigating a technique that may significantly increase the number
> of requests we can do per second without rewriting the whole thing.
>
> (OK, I haven't measured the overhead of the *SCSI* layer, I've measured
> the overhead of the *libata* layer.  I think the point here is that you
> can't measure the difference at a macro level unless you're sending a
> lot of commands.)

Perhaps one of the things we should agree on is exactly how we want to
measure things like this.  Making the layering thinner for less latency
is usually good ... unless there are other tradeoffs.  I think not
forcing ata disks to go through SCSI will probably be tradeoff free, but
we need to make sure it is.

James