Re: MCP55 disk activity LEDs don't flash

Andrew Lyon wrote:
I have a similar problem with a supermicro system with sc743tq-865-sq
chassis + x7dwa-n motherboard, the chassis has a 8 drive hot swap
backplane but the motherboard only has 6 ports, the 6 drives that are
connected to the m/b have working led's but the 2 remaining drives
only flash when the drives spin up, the activity and status lights
remain off the rest of the time.

Drive activity LED's light up using SATA power connector pin 11. Some hard drives support this, others don't.

I don't have any hard information of which drives support and which don't but I seem to recall that some WD non-raid-edition drives didn't.

Do you have different drives on the remaining 2 slots?

I've never figured out how the led's are driven, the backplane does
have two gpio ports which could be connected to gpio on the
motherboard, but I have never used them and it seems to work ok as it
is.

On Supermicro TQ backplanes there is bunch of SGPIO connectors, one for 4 drives. They are connected to AMI MG9072 chip and are used for blinking red error LED's. The integrated (Intel matrix) RAID on some Supermicro motherboards should support this, but I have never tested it. Also at least some Areca SAS and SATA controllers support it. There is also i2c connector but that works only with some Promise contollers. Note also that the backplane has to be jumpered correctly for it to work.

--
Harri.