MCP55 disk activity LEDs don't flash

I have a 6 slot server case with a backplane. AFAICT the backplane is passive and there are SATA cables that lead from the backplane to the mobo.

The problem is that the disk activity LEDs for the slots don't flash at all. The mobo is an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe, which has the MCP55 controller.

The drive activity LED which plugs into the mobo works just fine; the individual LEDs for each of the drives don't flash - they just stay on. Is there something I can enable to make them work? Or is the backplane broken?

--Yan