Re: unexpected downspeed of AHCI controller on Intel Seaburg 5400

At 20:04 11/18/2008 -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
>It doesn't necessarily mean anything that it supports SATA II, that's
>just a revision of the spec and it defines support for 3 Gbps, but
>doesn't require it.

Wasn't precise enough in my statement.  The Intel
datasheet says it supports 3.0 Gbps:

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/31308201.pdf

5.18 SATA Host Controller (D31:F2)

The Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub has an integrated
SATA host controller that supports independent DMA operation on
six ports and supports data transfer rates of up to 3.0 Gb/s
(300 MB/s). . .

-----

The Seaburg 5400 is the absolute latest server chipset
with such fancy features as DCA.  Hard to believe that
Intel would not support 3 Gbps.

Is it possible for the BIOS to tell the chip to not negogiate
above 1.5 Gbps?  I'm wondering if HP might have done this to
prevent the bug below from happening.  If so it would be
nice for the driver to put it back to 3 Gbps.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/313075.pdf

46. PxSERR errors are logged during BIOS initialization when
running at 3Gbps on a small percentage of parts Problem: This
failure signature has only been seen on a few Intel®
631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub parts and only happens when
devices are running at 3Gbps. During BIOS boot up as the SATA
controller is initialized, PxSERR errors are logged. Error bits
1, 10, and 19 are set which are recovered data integrity error,
protocol error, and 10b to 8b decode error. These bits are set
in between BIOS postcode 423c and 503c. Some of these failing
parts on certain platforms will hang at postcode 0x75 . Affects
SATA ports.

Implication: May hang some operating systems\plaforms during
boot up. Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub Specification
Update 29

Errata
Workaround: NA.