Re: regarding frequent head unload problem

Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing to everyone who reported to me or linux-ide about frequent
> head unload problem and the report is not yet committed to
> storage-fixup.conf.
>
> I'm a bit worried about the explosion of reports because I really
> wanna avoid creating false entries as they will increase power
> consumption on Linux unnecessarily. [...]
Hi,

I understand your concern. It mainly comes down to how much earlier your
battery is drained I guess (without taking the "green" aspect into
account). Would anyone have any numbers on that? If not, we could do a
test ourselves (torturing our drives for a few hours extra,
percentage-wise the extra wear and tear is limited).

The amount of power saved will probably differ between drive
manufacturers & models as well. My gut feeling is that it won't make
that much of a difference, but it's indeed something to think about.

Greetings,

Pascal