AHCI power down unused ports merge status?

I was just poking around in the ICH8 documentation and /dev/mem and I
notice that all three of the SATA PHYs on my laptop are enabled, when I
have only one SATA target device.  AHCI allows the port to be disabled,
and this saves a lot of power, but this functionality is not exposed in
Linux.

There are patches floating around on this mailing list to disable the
port by echoing "power_off" to ALPM in sysfs, but this patch isn't
merged in libata-dev and I don't see it in 2.6.27-rc7 either.  Is there
any hope of this getting merged?  Is it dangerous or otherwise not
advised?

I think users would really appreciate having this.  Disabling unused
ports results in +10% extra battery life on my laptop.

cf http://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=121504056904748&w=2

I think part 1 is severable from part 2, so perhaps the sysfs bits can
be merged without the default policy part that seems objectionable.

-jwb