Re: libata bridge limits

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 10:25 -0700, Gwendal Grignou wrote:
>> The current patch  to implement libata-sysfs floating in the mailing
>> list is read-only.
>> For write we must currently go through SCSI midlayer ioctls and use
>> sat. To send commands directly within libata[-sysfs] - for instance
>> writing SControl register of a SATA PM - I need to either implement a
>> queue mechanism over ata_exec_internal() or schedule eh and piggy back
>> on it.
>
> That's not how the other transport classes work, why does the libata one
> need to go through the mid-layer (well, except for the necessary command
> issue stuff, of course).  The design of the transport classes was
> specifically to take all transport knowledge out of the mid layer and
> connect the requisite controls in sysfs directly to the transport
> actions.
I agree. I don't want to use the mid-layer either. I just mentioned
that if I want to send a raw taskfile to a ATA device today, the only
way I found is using ata_task_ioctl() which relies on the mid-layer to
schedule the request; the direct way - through ata_exec_internal() -
assumes only one outstanding command at a time.  I need to implement
something else for the accessing ATA devices in libata-sysfs similar
to smp_execute_task() in libsas.

> The (semi)direct analogue of writing SControl of a SATA PM is writing a
> phy control parameter of a SAS expander ... that's all accomplished in
> libsas/scsi_transport_sata without ever going via the mid-layer.
Agree.

Gwendal.