Re: Driver for Promise PDC42819 SATA/SAS controller

Mark Nelson writes:
 > >  > Forgive my ignorance, but does the fact that the T3 controller can also
 > >  > use SAS disks mean we should be looking for a SCSI driver?
 > >
 > > Promise lists only this one partial-source driver for the tx4650,
 > > and it /is/ a Linux scsi driver.
 > >

 > Oh sorry, I meant to ask should we be looking at an in-kernel
 > (or fully open source driver) that is a SCSI driver that we could make
 > work with the T3? So maybe my question is actually: does the
 > fact that this controller supports SAS disks mean that the
 > driver for it should be a scsi driver (rather than an ATA driver)?

The candidate Linux drivers would be ata/sata_promise, ata/sata_sx4,
block/sx8, and scsi/stex. You tried sata_promise, and from looking
at the PCI IDs I doubt the others are likely to drive the T3.

If you can find an open-source T3 driver in some other operating
system, like OpenSolaris, Darwin, or some *BSD, then that would be
great.