Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove BLK_DEV_HD_ONLY

> I tend to disagree:
>
> - there is nothing wrong with using an older kernel for rescue operations
>   on MFM/RLL drives

Older kernels don't boot on a lot of modern hardware.

> - it should be relatively easy to add MFM/RLL support to IDE subsystem
>   or libata layer (or even both)

I'm working on a libata driver when I get bits of time but it is not
trivial because stuff like device probe is totally different,
multi-write/multi-read are different, some of the command set is
different and even some of the task file registers are different.

> If there is no consensus about hd.c removal I think that the appropriate
> alternative would be to move it to drivers/block/ as it has nothing to do
> with IDE subsystem code.

Thats true enough.

Alan