Re: Unable to access drives via PortMultiplier and SATA/IDE bridge

Brian & Chamaigne Scamman wrote:
Tejun-

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you - I wanted to build a clean
machine and do some more testing before I replied.

I've installed Fedora Core 9 (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686) along with a single SiI
3124-based 4 port controller.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, I'm using a JM20330 based SATA to IDE
bridge to connect an IDE solid state drive. The SSD and bridge work fine
when attached directly to a SATA port, but don't work when attached to a
port multipler (SiI 3726-based). (For reference, no problems when using
Windows XP)

After some experimentation, I found out that if I connected the port
multipler first (with no drive attached or a standard SATA drive) and then
attached the SSD/bridge drive, the drive was immediately recognized by the
kernel.

I've attached two dmesg log files:
- dmesg_one_drive_at_a_time.txt is when the PMP was attached with a standard
SATA drive on port 0 and the SSD/bridge were attached to port 1 later.
- dmesg_ssd_drive_only_after_pmp.txt is when the PMP was attached with the
SSD/bridge attached to port 0; after EH timeout, the sata cable was detached
from port 0 and then re-inserted.

I've also run cases where the PMP was attached to the computer empty (no
drives on any ports) and then attached the SSD/bridge with success (port
independent).

Let me know if you need more dmesg logs.

sata_sil24 and libata in general have some corner cases where device detection fails and I'm cooking up some patches. Please standby a bit.

Thanks.

--
tejun