Re: ata_std_qc_defer not good enough for FIS-based switching ?

Mark Lord wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
Mmm.. I just plugged the same PM + drives into my sata_sil24 card here,
and that driver went bonkers when I did the same test.

Had to reboot eventually to recover.

Hmm... That can't be. Above all, although we do manual scheduling around sil24, the controller does its own scheduling and will happily issue command in the right order even if the software scheduler screws up. Do you have the log?
..

Here's what was in /var/log/messages after I held the power button
for five seconds to force a poweroff and then rebooted.  I didn't make much
effort to learn more, as I'm already busy enough testing/debugging sata_mv.

Hmmm... Have been testing NCQ + non-NCQ heavy load test w/ deadline scheduler for 30+ mins now and there's no problem at all. I'm pretty sure sata_sil24 can handle mixed (across different drives) NCQ + non-NCQ workload okay.

One catch w/ sata_sil24 is that it has something called PMP DMA CS errata which means that all context is lost if any error (including a device one) occurs during commands are pending to more than two devices behind a port, the controller's state gets completely corrupt, so when something goes wrong while lots of commands are pending via PMP, it's often impossible what exactly went wrong.

sil4726/3726 also has a quirk. It has configuration device as the last device and issuing random IOs it might cause unpredictable results. So, can you please re-try the test excluding the pseudo config device?

Thanks.

--
tejun