Re: sata_mv performance; impact of NCQ

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:49:01AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> >My ultimate goal is to replace mv_sata (the out-of-tree vendor driver)
> >on RHEL 4 with sata_mv on a modern kernel, and to do this I need
> >equivalent or better performance, especially on large (1MB) IOs.
>
> Good goal, but hang on for a few weeks of updates yet-to-come first.
> sata_mv is still not safe enough for production use, but getting there soon.

OK.  For what it's worth, I've never had any problems with the 2.6.25
version of sata_mv, which is a nice improvement from the one in the
latest RHEL 5 kernel.  I haven't done any specific reliability tests
though.

> We're still behind on the errata workarounds (quite important), but should
> be catching up soon.  And I've just today noticed a bug in the recently
> reworked IRQ handling (patch to fix it coming soon-ish).

OK.  Let me know if there's anything I can help with, though my
experience with the chipset and SATA are both quite limited.  If you
need testing, I'm certainly able to do that.

> >Would it be worth re-enabling large IOs on this hardware when NCQ is
> >disabled (using the queue_depth /proc variable)?  If so I'll come up
> >with a patch.
>
> Mmm.. I'd like to see numbers for that, though all bets are off if it's
> a WD drive that's performing more slowly with NCQ (quite common, that).

These are Hitachi drives:
  Vendor: ATA       Model: HITACHI HUA7250S  Rev: GK6O

>From my tests, NCQ is definitely a win for the IO sizes that work.

> But yes, a sata_mv specific queue_depth op would be a good thing,
> and it could revert to non-NCQ with a depth of "1", I suppose.
>
> I'd still prefer if libata continued with NCQ on a depth of "1",
> and only switched to non-NCQ at a depth of "0", though.  That's more of
> a thing for Tejun than for you, though.  :)
>
> If you could do a rough code-up of the non-NCQ for depth 1 patch
> then that could save me some time here, thanks!

OK, I'll work on that.

Cheers,
Jody

--
Jody McIntyre - Linux Kernel Engineer, Sun HPC