Re: Remove obsoleted "idex=noprobe" kernel parameter

Hi,

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Rus V. Brushkoff wrote:

>  	Hi,
>
>   Why this option is obsoleted ? It can be used on many systems when Linux
> still tries to detect disabled in the BIOS IDE controller - you may
> significantly reduce boot time, without bunch of the "ide reset succeed"
> messages.
>   So embedded people use IDE as hardware interface to different
> controlling systems - how they can tell Linux, now without "idex=noprobe"
> option, not to probe _this_ IDE controller ?

"hdx=noprobe" skips probing given IDE device, if given for all devices
on the contoller, the controller will be not probed at all

[ "hdx=noprobe" will be converted soon to "ide_core.noprobe=" parameter
  as we _need_ to re-do parameters handling because the old interface
  ("hdx=" / "idex=") is not compatible with the IDE warm-plug support ]

>   So can be said about "obsoleted "idex=base[,ctl[,irq]]" kernel
> parameters" - now nobody, who make simple custom hardware, can tell legacy
> IDE driver about different hardware resources, which is normal for other
> Linux subsystems - see for example LPT or most network cards kernel boot
> parameters.

It still can be done - just they way of doing it will change:

/*
 * For special cases new interfaces may be added using sysfs, i.e.
 *
 *      echo -n "0x168:0x36e:10" > /sys/class/ide_generic/add
 *
 * will add an interface using I/O ports 0x168-0x16f/0x36e and IRQ 10.
 */

[ however the preferred solution is to add resources for your custom IDE as
  a platform resources so ide_platform host driver can use it automatically ]

Thanks,
Bart