Re: Problem with ahci and a external sata disk

El Viernes, 7 de Marzo de 2008, Jose Alberto Reguero escribió:
> El Viernes, 7 de Marzo de 2008, Jose Alberto Reguero escribió:

> > > I try with kernel 2.6.25-rc4 but when the limiting speed to 1.5g the
> > > device can't recover.
> > > I try whith the option:
> > > options libata force=4:1.5g
> > > and works, but the speed is limited until:
> > > ata4.00: limiting speed to UDMA/33:PIO4
> > > and still have some errors.
> > >
> > > Do you know what Transfer mode   I must try in  libata force to not
> > > have erros?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Jose Alberto
> >
> > [root@jar Pls]# hdparm -I /dev/sdd
> >
> > /dev/sdd:
> >
> > ATA device, with non-removable media
> >         Model Number:       Seagate FreeAgent Pro
> >         Serial Number:      5QD3Q2AZ
> >         Firmware Revision:  3.AFM
> > Standards:
> >         Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 1
> >         Supported: 6 5 4
> > Configuration:
> >         Logical         max     current
> >         cylinders       16383   0
> >         heads           16      0
> >         sectors/track   63      0
> >         --
> >         LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
> >         LBA48  user addressable sectors: 1465149168
> >         device size with M = 1024*1024:      715404 MBytes
> >         device size with M = 1000*1000:      750156 MBytes (750 GB)
> > Capabilities:
> >         LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
> >         Standby timer values: spec'd by Vendor, with device specific
> > minimum R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1   Current = 0
> >         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
> >              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
> >         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> >              Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
> > Commands/features:
> >         Enabled Supported:
> >            *    SMART feature set
> >            *    Power Management feature set
> >            *    Write cache
> >            *    48-bit Address feature set
> >            *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
> >            *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
> >            *    SMART self-test
> >            *    WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT
> >            *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
> >            *    SATA-II signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
> > Integrity word not set (found 0x0000, expected 0x23a5)
> >
> > I noticed that :
> >   R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1   Current = 0
> >
> > It is important?
> >
> > Jose Alberto
>
> I did more tests. I put:
>
> options libata force=4:1.5g,udma0
>
> and the ICRC errors still appear. But only writing. I try with the device
> at top speed(3G) and reading the errors don't appear.
> Another thing is that when limiting the speed to 1.5G, the real read speed
> don't seem to change and is about 2 times the read speed that I have with a
> SATA-I device. Is like limiting the speed to 1.5G don't do nothing.
>
> I will try the disk in a SATA-I port.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jose Alberto
> --

More tests:

When connected via USB:
[root@jar Pls]# hdparm -I /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       ST3750640AS
        Serial Number:      5QD3Q2AZ
        Firmware Revision:  3.AFM
Standards:
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
        Likely used: 7
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
        LBA48  user addressable sectors: 1465149168
        device size with M = 1024*1024:      715404 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:      750156 MBytes (750 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 32
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = ?
        Recommended acoustic management value: 160, current value: 0
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
           *    Power-Up In Standby feature set
           *    SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
                SET_MAX security extension
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    SATA-II signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
           *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
           *    Phy event counters
                Device-initiated interface power management
           *    Software settings preservation
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
        not     supported: enhanced erase
Checksum: correct

How can be so diferent that the one make with esata?

Thanks.
Jose Alberto