Re: Setting up md-raid5: observations, errors, questions

>  FWIW, using smaller bitmaps REALLY helps. Tests forthcoming.

I accidentaly thrashed the original script output for the first test
so all I can offer is a spreadsheet (or not, 1.test should have most
of the data):

1. create array with given chunk size and bitmap chunk size and --assume-clean
2. dd write and read 4GB (2x RAM) directly on the device (no -oflag
direct, though)
3. create small ~13 GB fs at the start of the array
4. mount without options and run bonnie++
5. lather, rinse, repeat

Second test is the same as the first, only
1. create a smaller array with -z (4GB / disk so 12GB usable), let it
sync and set stripe_cache_size to 8192
2. ...
3. ...
4. mount with noatime, nodiratime
5. ...

Better. Much better. Now safely out of the realm of error and into
that of tuning.
Still a bottleneck somewhere ... If 50% in bonnie++ means 100% of one
CPU that could be it. Any comments on the CPU results (text version
only)?

Results are single-shot (not averaged) so the data is relatively low quality.

I didn't notice any responsiveness issues during the tests, but then
again I left the machine pretty much alone. Will tune first and tackle
that later. FWIW background resync alone isn't the culprit - that
doesn't even hurt benchmarks too badly. Maybe background sync + large
bitmap?

The HSM violation hasn't yet cropped up again. What does it mean exactly?

Also, aside from the fact that NCQ should apparently be turned off for
md raid anyway - why doesn't it work? The Promise SATA2 TX4 allegedly
does it, as do the disks.

Thanks,

C.