Re: SATA timeouts on two disks

Hi,

On Jan 21, 2008 8:47 AM, Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you still have the old PSU lying around, please try to power one of
> the failing drive with the old PSU.  Just leave everything else as-is,
> power-up old PSU by itself as described in the following web page and
> connect only one of the failing drive to the old PSU.
>
>   http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod
>
> And see whether the problem continues and if so on which drives.
> Connecting SATA drives to separate power is completely safe even if they
> don't have common ground because SATA connection never directly connect
> to each other.

Yes, I still have the old PSU lying around.

A co-worker, to whom I explained my problem, asked me whether I had
properly grounded my drives. In fact I had not: The drives resided in
a vibration-absorbing frame through which their exterior had no
electrical contact with the grounded case. Since I grounded the drives
two days ago, I got no new errors.  So maybe my problem is solved.

If not, I will happily try out your suggestion. Would you be so kind
to explain in a few words, what connecting one drive to a second
(supposedly good) PSU will show?

(Is this still on-topic on this list?)

Thanks a lot,
Jim