Re: [Fwd: Re: libata , Silicon Image 3124]

Am 08.01.2008 04:47, Tejun Heo schrieb:
> Kasimir Müller wrote:
>
>> Hi Tejun,
>>
>> Old communication appended below.
>>
>> I wish you a Happy Xmas and a successful New Year.
>>
>> I spent some time during Christmas to further investigate the problem. I
>> bought a new 500GB disk and put all data on this disk.
>> This is also contineously watched by nagios and cacti
>> Then
>> 1.) All 5 disks in the external case connected via Portmapper and sil24
>> card have excellent health-status with smartd.
>> 2.) I get no(!!!!) errors at all if I use the disks as single drives or
>> with lvm. I verified this by copying large amounts of data (100-200GB)
>>      with rsync , cp-av and running bonnie++ single and simultaneously
>> to  various combinations of drives.
>> 3.) I get the errors as soon as I use raid. Same errors with raid0 (2
>> disks), 1 (2 disks), 5 (3 disks) in any combination of the drives
>> 4.) The errors appear usually first during mkfs (same with ext3 and
>> reiserfs) and than
>>      after writing about 10-50 GB to the raid, and repeat then at 5 to
>> 10 minute intervals according the disk activity.
>> 5.) I used Kernel 2.6.23.1 with Your latest patch: same result
>> 6.) I used kernel 2.6.24 patch rc-6 : same result
>> 7.) during the tests I marked all files with md5-sums:  No data
>> corruption (!!!), so maybe I can live with it.
>>

> Please apply the attached patch on top of 2.6.24-rc6 and report whether
> anything changes.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Tejun,
thanks very much again for your time and readiness to help.

I applied the patch as you proposed without problem.

I attach the kernel logs of the past few days. As far as I can see, with
the patched kernel errors appear only under heavy load .

If you want, I could provide a (temporary) ssh-login to my machine.
Maybe it would make it easier for you to debug the problem.
If you want to use it, I need your public ssh-certificate and your
login-name and I would send the login-details to you.

Thanks again,
yours Kasimir.