pata_via question.

Running 2.6.24-rc6 here.

I just installed a combo card, 3 sata ports, one pata port, VIA VT6421 chip on
it.

I do not have an ide drive attached to it, and my bios does not acknowledge
the presence of the card or the sata drive attached, meaning I have to keep a
ide drive for use as the /boot partition.

I have built the pata_via module as well as the sata_via module and once
booted it all works except the boot doesn't autoload the pata_via module, and
when I manually load it with modprobe, or rmmod it, there is no mention of it
in dmesg or the system messags log, nor does it effect the lspci output.
Should it not at least report the chip number?

Or is it all covered by this:  from lspci, with or without pata_via loaded

01:0a.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller
(rev 50)

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene