Re: SATA drive keeps hard resetting

Tejun Heo escribió:
Michael Tokarev wrote:
Matí­as Alejandro Torres wrote:
Hi all,

I have a SATA drive in a motherboard with an ATI SB600 chipset that
until now worked just fine.
The disk seems fine but after a while it start making noises (like
spinning up) and the computer freezes during 2 or 3 seconds. I think my
SATA drive is broken, or maybe the motherboard. This is what dmesg says:

[  229.096000] ata4: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x90200 action 0x6 frozen
See http://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=119707355016060&w=2
I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with kernel 2.6.22-14-generic in a dual processor
computer. Below there's some hardware information. The output of dmesg
is attached. Thanks!
That patch will not apply cleanly to 2.6.22 - it will show rejects
in libata-core.c.  Those are OK - it's a cleanup of wrongly blacklisted
drives.  The main part - in ahci.c - is the one that's needed.

Matias's problem doesn't have anything to do with spurious completion.
PHY RDY changed and HSM violation are completely different error conditions.

I think either the harddrive or power supply is dying.  smartctl -a
might show something but I'm not too hopeful.  The surest way is to
connect the drive to a different PSU and see whether the problem goes
away but if all other drives on the system is fine, I would just throw
away the harddrive.

Thanks.

I tried the drive in anotcher PC and it didn't work. I'll see how far I can throw it away! Thanks!
-