problems with packet command

Hi, I'm developing an application that uses cd-rom IOCTL's. All is fine but I have one problem I
can not set up a packet command, because I don't know exactly how to fill out the 12 byte command
field.  I searched the internet, looked in the cdrom.c driver, some other programs source code,
but I don't have a clear picture about that. I just know that the first element cmd[0] is the
command.
Would somebody please explain me how to fill out the 12 bytes ? or if not then at least could
point out a good online resource. You are my last hope

Thanks
  Kantor