Re: libata-dev git question:

Attached is the script I use to keep a tree synced with upstream tree.
.git/origin points to upstream repo like the following.

  master.kernel.org /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git ssh

If you have ssh access to the origin, specify ssh as above, everything
will go over a ssh channel.  If you don't, you need rsync and git access
to the machine.

The script keeps the tree heads identical to the upstream tree so don't
create custom branches in the tree.  They'll go away when you run
git-sync.sh the next time.  I have ~/os/linux-2.6 and
~/os/ata/work/libata-dev trees to track upstream and ~/os/work and
~/os/ata/work trees where I work on and fetches / pulls necessary heads
from the two upstream clones.

If you make your work trees' alternates files to point to the upstream
clones, having separate upstream and work trees don't waste much space
and it's easy to check what's going on upstream that way.

--
tejun