Re: Flexible SFF interrupt handling

Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
The only question is, under which conditions do we return IRQ "handled=1",
and which times should we return 0 ?

Definitely when a real IRQ wakes us up and we see (qc != NULL && drive_ready),
essentially exactly as we currently do it.

But things might be trickier once polling is introduced, unless we also mask
the device interrupt before initiating the polling.

Actually no, and that is a key benefit of this scheme: if we ensure that the polling paths are resilient even in case where interrupts are being delivered -- as we must do anyway -- then we don't have to worry about interrupt masking, either on the interrupt controller or on the device[1].

If we do get an interrupt, ack it ASAP. That covers normal operation and screaming interrupts.
..

I was considering a shared IRQ environment, where the screamer
might be a different device on the same IRQ..

To clarify:  If we are sharing an IRQ line with other device(s),
then it is not good to always return "handled=1" from our IRQ handler
in cases where the interrupt could not be confirmed to be ours.

Because if we did, then the babbling-IRQ detection ("too many spurious")
elsewhere in the kernel will be unable to function for this particular IRQ line.

If we really have no other good option, then fine --> sata_qstor does this.
And I suppose that's the intent --> only fall back to this kind of stuff
when we are dealing with hardware that is known to be unreliable w.r.t. IRQs.

Cheers
-