Re: Promise SATA TX4 300 port timeout with sata_promise in 2.6.22, kernel panic in 2.6.23

Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

I Stratford wrote:
The purpose of the mail is to document and share my experience in the
hope that someone might find it useful, either for debugging their own
TX4 300-centric system issues or figuring out what is up with
sata_promise and the TX4 300 in 3Gbps mode. I also wish to offer my
somewhat unique promise-based system as a test environment for either
the timeout or kernel panic issues. I obviously have some basic need
for data integrity of the RAID5, but this system is not in production
and is therefore more available for testing purposes than the average
machine with 22 Promise SATA ports..  :)

[cc'ing Mikael Pettersson]

It seems those 3Gbps promise controllers have hard time getting out of
transmission errors.  Is it because hardreset doesn't work?  Can we fix it?

Also, if 3Gbps can't be made reliable on those controllers, how about
limiting it to 1.5Gbps by default with appropriate warning messages?
Without PMP, it's not like we're gonna earn anything by driving the
thing at 3Gbps.

Thanks.

I thought this was supposed to be fixed in 2.6.24-RC2 ?

Although I'm currently running a TX4 myself in 3Gbit mode with 2.6.23.1, I'm waiting for 2.6.24 to reach stable until I try it out myself. 2.6.23.1 seemed to fix the hard-lock when it tried to reset the card tho, so now I just get a few errors about "soft resetting" in the logs. No data loss.

/Patric

-