Re: [smartmontools-support] Bug/Issue

Hello, Jon.

Please don't top-post.

Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> Looking at the logs there is seconds(as in 2~5)
> literally between when the smartd kicks in on the sata
> and when it decides the drive isn't capable. I can
> tell you now it takes at least 10~15 seconds for the
> drive to spin up.. probably longer. I also know that
> when i run the test manually using smartctl it seems
> to work, and that when the scheduled test is run when
> the drives HAVENT spun down it also works.

Okay, please do the following.

1. Post /var/log/boot.msg or dmesg result right after boot.
2. Post the result of "lspci -nnv"
3. Post the results of "hdparm -I /dev/sdX" where sdX is one of th
problematic drives.
4. Run "hdparm -y /dev/sdX" to spin it down then issue SMART short test
manually.  If it fails the same way, post what smartd/smartctl says and
the result of dmesg after the failure.

Thanks.

--
tejun