Re: AHCI: using bios after linux

Alan Cox wrote:
3) related to #1 above, we want to be invisable. so we're not looking to
switch from AHCI (to legacy), we are looking to continue in whatever mode
the BIOS started in. Thus we just want BIOS to be able to handle int13 calls
after the Linux AHCI driver has run (this works when BIOS is setup in legacy mode initially).

So load the ata_piix driver and not the AHCI one and I think it'll work
out ?

Sane advice under the circumstances, I suppose.

Overall, its a repeat of a fundamental problem... we might be resetting the HBA, restarting the port, or any number of things that the BIOS doesn't know about.

I tend to think making such calls will largely rely on luck, without some sort of in-kernel synchronization. Smart controllers do this sort of stuff, but that's a different case from the one here. Here we have competing pieces of software, each unaware of the other.

	Jeff

-