Re: Read Prefetch, Post Write on IDE chipsets

Alan Cox wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:51:43 +0100
Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But, what is it? I've never seen any documentation but which register to use
to toggle it.. no vendor recommendations to turn it on, it seems like a rather
secret feature..?

Chipset specific. Some public documentation discusses it for certain
chips (eg the Intel ATA tuning guidelines). For others you may need the
BIOS vendor manual or similar.

All I see is.. that if you want to turn it on, you must make sure of a few things.

There is no discussion on what it DOES, I assume it simply buffers a little more
somewhere (somehow?) inside the chipset, for the purpose of allowing more
streamlined PIO access. But it has some awesome limitations..

Is it even relevant anymore? Does anyone even notice if these features are turned off?

--
Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations