Fwd: Intel 82801G (ICH7) SATA port reset

Hello List,

I have a rather annoying problem.
On an Intel S3000AHLX
(http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/s3000ah/index.htm)
motherboard, I can't seem to utilize all SATA interfaces to the
maximum.
The first sata interface frequently resets every few seconds under
heavy IO, the net result being ridiculous slow transfers (attach:
dmesg_random_collection_of_errors)

Running debian unstable and it's version of 2.6.22. System contains a
xeon 3210 and an adaptec scsi controller from which I currently boot.

There is little logic in the symptoms:
* if there is no or light IO, no resets occur.
* it's always the sda port that resets (changing cables or disks
doesn't make a difference).
* only specific combinations of disk-usage on the sata disks (attach:
disk_combinations_causing_reset), just using sda alone does not cause
resets.
* reading is enough, writing is (subjectively) worse. dd
if=/dev/sd{a,b,c,d} of=/dev/null & guarantees trouble.
* when the port resets, the disk makes a clearly audible clicking noise

I tried numerous things:
* having the board exchanged with intel for the latest revision
(thanks to my hardware supplier), updating to the latest bios and to a
bios version 6 months old.
* booting with older versions of the linux kernel, 2.6.18 and 2.6.21.
* Using all possible combinations of the bios' matrix/lsi fakeraid and
non-raid modes (always ignoring the "raid" and using the disks
directly), and enable/disable the one PATA port in the bios.
* asked seagate for a drive firmware update, to no avail.

The only workable solution so far is to leave the first sata interface
unused (remove the disk), which is obviously not a very nice solution.

Any hints or suggestions would be welcome, I'd be more than happy to
try out new things.
things. I'm a bit at a loss on how to proceed at the moment.

Kind regards,
Joris