Re: Freeze after disabling write cache with hdparm -W0 /dev/sda

Tejun Heo wrote:
> Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>> Tejun Heo wrote:

>>> Revalidation happens after cache property is changed successfully.  What
>>> happens if you request manual rescan while the drive is not repsponding?
>>>
>> The 30 second freeze happens when we request manual rescan. We do
>> revalidate once the freeze is over, though; dmesg follows:
>
> Can you post dmesg with printk timestamps turned on?

Sorry for the delay in responding;

Turning on printk timestamps is enough to fix the problem, and stop the
stall from happening.

We'll be rebasing to the newest Fedora 7 kernel soon (next 3 months),
and I've changed our kernel build process to turn on printk timestamps.
If it still happens then, I'll get you a dmesg with timestamps.
--
Simon Farnsworth

-